Friday, September 29, 2006

My experiences at the dental clinic

People say I talk a lot. Well this was one time I felt like keeping my mouth wide shut. Last week when I had gone to the dentist to fix myself an appointment for a regular clean up job, I enquired about my jaw structure to which she didnt bother replying and that was discouraging. She said that I have to get my teeth clean of the tartar or whatever,didnt make much sense to me.

So next week(i.e. today) I visited the dentist again. And the head dentist said,"Boyo you got yourself a cavity there." I said,"I already have four, I could certainly do without one!". He said "There was a cavity in the front tooth,the one you see when one smiles. " I was left with no choice and decided to go ahead with the cavity filling.

Thank God, they discovered anaesthesia!But ask Him why didnt they administer it to me! The drill the dentist used was the mother of all tooth drillers.I can still feel the vibrations. So now he bore a hole into my tooth. The way I felt it,he was mercilessly pounding the tooth, till he got what he desired and it didnt hurt him a wee bit to see me wriggle in pain,horrible, horrible pain. Now I had a peekhole in my front tooth.Imagine that!

Then I was taken to the regular drilling gig where the she-dentist was incharge to remove the useless deposits otherwise known as tartar and plaque. And she was no less brutal if not more than the he-dentist,with the only difference being that the driller was set to medium level. She was repeatedly asking me to widen my jaw and I was like ,"Yea right!". My gums bled and what not. Then she in accordance to the colour of my enamel, got the filling mixture ready and used some laser gun kinda thing to harden the filling. Now it looked spanking new as if there was no hole there!

The cleaning was done with a lot of bloodshed. During the entire operation, I was suprised to repeat to myself,"Pain is worship", "Pain is worship" ;I really had no idea why. And when there was pain,my body stiffened and thereafter I tried to relax by repeating "Pain is worship".

Before going to the dentist, I said to myself well this is just a routine operation and nothing would happen. I went in there with a strong will not to bow down to pain. But with the tools that the the dentist had put on his table, the sight itself pulverized my first line of defence. But "Pain is worship" and then after the entire job was done, I must admit the job was done perfectly. I could now see the glistening white teeth that were buried underneath the junk I ate so carelessly without bothering to clean my teeth,well I learnt my lesson.

I must warn you though, dentists are not for the weak hearted!

Au revoir

No comments: